11 Top Tips For Writing A Blog Post In An Hour
Is it possible to write a blog in an hour?
We are all always trying to be more efficient and do more with our day.
Well let me try today.
Here are 11 Top Tips For Writing A Blog Post that you need to do when you’re writing a blog, that you need to fit into that hour.
I will let you know how long each tip took me today.
1. Know the subject that you’re writing on.
This is one thing that slows you up.
The research. The thinking, the planning.
If you sit at the computer brand new for the day and have no idea about what you want to say it’s going to take longer.
If you have been thinking about it for the last few hours, if you planned the night before or even the week before,
then you have more chance of being able to sit down with the content already semi-formed in your mind.
Some people plan their content a week or a month in advance.
I had been thinking about this one before today.
Today 5 mins.
And if you are needing help:
2. Work out your keyword and then put it in the title.
Is it interesting and catchy?
Have you got power words in it?
Is it interesting enough that someone will leave what they’re doing and click on it if they see it in the inbox or in social media?
I used this for help.
That was another 10 minutes. (15)
3. Now work out what you going to write, around your content idea.
It has to:
- Be useful
- Be unique
- Take you further towards the goals of your blog (which is usually to give value, communicate with your audience and get leads)
- Reflect your brand: if your brand is yourself then it has to be in your own words, in the way that you would speak.
That came to me quickly as part of number one. (In fact I don’t plan very much, but I know a lot of people do.)
4. Try and remember to have a beginning a middle and an end.
There are so many blogs that are very good content but then just leave you hanging without anything finishing it all off.
Think of it as meeting someone with a smile,
having a conversation,
and then saying goodbye.
5. Write the same way that you would speak.
Or even dictate, as I am doing with this, straight into my laptop. That saves me a lot of time.
Unless you are doing formal documents where you need to use a specific kind of language,
in a blog you are generally more informal and chatty.
So write or dictate as if you are speaking to someone. ( Without the ums and ahs.)
..well… read that post and see…!
6. Make sure you have your keyword in your title, your subheadings, your image names and throughout the blog post.
Now this obviously comes with practice, and you can do this all within an hour if you concentrate hard.
But not if you are distracted continually.
Switch off all distractions.
If you are sticking to your subject, then your keyword should turn up naturally.
Just remember to add it to the ALT text in your images.
7. At the end you need to have a clear call to action.
I talked about having a beginning a middle and an end.
So the end can be:
- Subscribe to your list: which might be by a pop-up, or a giveaway that you have on your page
- Leave a comment: ask a question to leave so that someone has something to respond to, and make sure you have a space to leave comments, which some blogs I have found do not have
- Share on social media: you should have share buttons on your blog, which a lot of people don’t have.
8. Have links that click through to your offers, and make sure those links work.
I am always grateful to people if they find the link of mine that doesn’t work, and let me know,
but it is something that you should try to check.
This is something you can do on a regular basis, for all your banners, as well as with every blog.
Check your links.
9. Try to have a link from your blog to other blogs of yours and also to authority blogs.
This will help in your rankings in search engines.
Keep a list of your anchor blogs that you link to often, so you don’t have to search for them every time.
Less than 5 mins to put links in. (20 mins)
Yes, I probably got the idea for this post a while ago, when I read Neil Patel saying, I think, this was one of his best performing posts.
10. Have a Featured image, and one image every 300 words or so.
Now if you are trying to write a blog post in an hour it is the images that can take a lot of time.
One tip to speeding up that process is to plan your blogs in advance.
Plan your title and then do your images in a block once a week.
Even if you have look for your images and have them without having put the text on
that will save a lot of time as that is the searching images that can take quite a while.
Aaaagh images. Still can take lots of time for me! But have cracked 5 mins per image in Canva, when I really push myself. Because I like them, and can waste a lot of time browsing.
10 mins (30 mins)
11. So once you’ve done all of the above, then
- fill in your SEO and blog post excerpts, that is a lot of copy and pasting,
- do a spellcheck
- Preview your post
- Read it out loud once through
Then hit publish!
The next bit then will take a bit more time:
Now I am not saying that you will want to do every post every day in under an hour.
And syndication, as I have said above, will take a bit longer.
There are some epic posts where you will want to spend longer on them.
But there are some days when you don’t have the time.
Or there are times when you are so well organised that you have the titles, the SEO and the images all planned and then all you have to do is write.
The main thing is that you get good valuable content out there.
On a regular basis.
So did I follow these 11 Top Tips For Writing A Blog Post In An Hour
and write it in an hour?
No! Because I didn’t switch off my distractions. And I got interrupted.
And every time you get interrupted, it takes a minute or two to get back on track!
And I hadn’t planned my images. Which makes a big difference.
But then I switched off Facebook, switched off my phone. And dropped my perfectionism,
and it was 1 hour 15 minutes.
And these 11 Top Tips For Writing A Blog Post In An Hour were all I did!
Time management is something most people struggle with.
These might help.
and finally,if your whole life is being ruled by deadlines, look at this.
Let me know what your time struggles are, and how you deal with them.
Can you write a blog in an hour?
If you want time to live a life you want to live,
Please comment and share if you think someone else would find this helpful.
And come and connect with me on Facebook
by sending me a friend request, subscribing to my blog
or to my You-tube channel.
Wishing you success
Dreams have no expiry date.
A dream without action is a dream.
A dream with action is your future.
Wishing you success.